Well we thought we were all well and recouperated after our 2 weeks of the stomach virus in our household. This past Thursday Meredith woke up around 11:30p, when I went in to check on her, she was burning up. I took her temp...102.5. I treated her with Motrin, she responded well and her temperature returned to normal.
After 48 hrs of running a temperature I decided maybe we should take her to the DR...check her ears....probably just an ear infection. At this point her temp spiked to 103. The Dr checked her ears (they were fine), throat (OK too) which left us with one other thought--maybe an unrinary tract infection.
The only way to effectively determine whether or not Meredith had an infection was to collect a sterile urine sample...via a catheter. I was a little weery of them placing a cath but knew there was no alternative. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on which way you look at it, it was clear that we made the right decision.....there was definitely an infection. The sample was sent off to the lab to grow so we could determine the culprit.
I was pretty confident that the infection was from E.Coli (#1 cause of UTI) due to the recent diarrhea. Sure enough, the MD called yesterday and E. Coli was the cause. Before we left the Dr's on Saturday evening, Meredith was given a shot of Rocephin. This seemed to cause her more pain then the catheter. She is also received a 7 day course of Bactrim. We will go back to the pediatrician next week to make sure she is all better, unfortunately this means another catheter. Hopefully the nurse at the pediatricians office will be as quick as the nurse at urgent care.
About Me
- The Reynolds
- Besides the obvious: mother, wife, daughter, sister, grandaughter, nurse, friend etc....I am a stay-at-home mom, which brings many more designations. I am CEO and CFO of my family. I am maid, laundry mat, dry cleaner, ironer, and sometimes dry cleaner. I am executive chef, server, dishwasher. I am project manager, project planner and personal planner and shopper. I am grocery shopper, grocery unloader and list maker. I am painter and plumber. Sometimes i even take on the additional tasks of lawn mower, dog groomer and gardner.